Festive “Pumpkin Bowling” Event Kicks Off The Halloween Season

Elise Toombs

James Snyder ’26 runs away from Layla Gilbert’s ’26 bowling attempt

G.T. Cozad

With autumn coming to a close, a new, hopefully-annual “Pumpkin Bowling” contest was held on Friday, October 28 on the sports fields, bringing together the school for an enjoyable start to the day. In the spirit of Halloween, this one-of-a-kind contest challenged advisories to roll pumpkins down the campus’ massive hills, in order to knock over multiple stacks of bricks. This festive event was a relaxing start to the day, and students had a great time hurling pumpkins towards the brick targets. 

Sanjana Gandhi ’25 said, “I really enjoyed the pumpkin bowling event because it was a fun and friendly competition for our class. It was also a great teamwork activity, and I learned a lot more about my advisory through this event.” Not only did the event highlight advisory teamwork skills but it was also a great way to start the day. Although pumpkin bowling was a lighthearted competition for advisories to engage in, every grade had an advisory who knocked down an incredible amount of bricks, and were recognized for their accomplishment in assembly later that day.

Trying to knock down pins, Mikey Gutchewsky ’26 rolls a pumpkin for his advisory

The freshman had two advisory winners, both knocking down a whopping thirty-four bricks, the Lin advisory and Yoshioka-Tarver advisory. The sophomores’ victorious advisory was the Pickett advisory, knocking down 32 bricks. Ms. Galluppi’s junior advisory snagged the trophy for 11th grade, knocking down 19 bricks. Finally, the Heinemann advisory were crowned victorious for the seniors, knocking down 17 bricks. 

Pumpkin Bowling was a fantastic group activity and Arjun Bodavula ’25 said, “I enjoyed the pumpkin bowling. I thought it was a really fun group activity. On the hill you could see a lot of people having fun. It was great!” After the first group’s bowling concluded, participants met back at the breezeway to enjoy some complimentary hot chocolate, while the second group finished their hot chocolate and prepared to pumpkin bowl. At 9:30, the entire high school finished the festive activity, and everyone continued with their school day. In all, the pumpkin bowling event celebrated the spooky season.